By: David Franklin
The Canes entered day three of spring practice in full pads for the first time and although it’s way too early to show much concern or award a lot of praise there were definitely some interesting developments today.
– The QB position continues to bring up the most questions as Canes fans are anxious to find that solid leader to take over the offense. Tate Martell has seemed shaky all week and today was no exception. He had several missed throws and continued to overthrow his receivers but did show good accuracy when throwing to the middle of the field. When he’s on, he’s on, but when he’s off it really shows and he just seems really tight so far. N’Kosi Perry continues to show the best arm strength and looks to have improved his footwork. Overall I’d have to give the nod to Jarren Williams at this point. Again, it’s way too early to crown a leader but Willians throws look effortless and smooth and his accuracy is in point regardless of where he throws it.
– In the Big Cane drill (Miami’s version of the Oklahoma drill) Jarren Williams got the best of N’Kosi Perry, Jonathan Garvin got the best of John Campbell, Pinckney got the best of DeeJay Dallas, Jordan over Steed, and KJ Osborn beat out DB Jimmy Murphy.
– DT’s Nesta Silvera and Jon Ford had a solid day.
– DE Scott Patchan has made obvious improvements in his conditioning.
– DL Tyreic Martin suffered what looked like a leg / knee injury and Robert Knowles was held out of practice after suffering injuries in the first two practices.
– DE Greg Rousseau continues to look completely healed from last years injury.
– S Amari Carter got praise from the coaching staff as he took first team reps with Gurvan Hall.
– TE Michael Irvin Jr. getting some good reps. It’d be nice to finally get him up to speed and have three solid TE options.
– OL Coach Barry looks intense and aggressive in coaching up the line.
– Again the biggest difference in the energy. Coach Diaz is obviously putting in a high intensity, high energy, tough and aggressive system across the board.